Search This Blog

20110524

How Exposure to Open Source Has Set Me Free

While using Linux for exclusively for the past 5 years, I've been exposed to the concept of Open Source software (open-source software).

Open Source software is that it is free, and comes with source code.

In brief, Open Source is software that sets you free. Over the past 10 years I have used Debian Linux and FreeBSD, having installed it on low end PC computers. As well, I have installed Knoppix on PCs on which Window XP would not installed.

So my computer experience would be considered to be advanced and extensive by a few people. Though, I view my experience as intermediate, since there is so much more to learn.

As an advanced computer user, I would have no exclusive preference for any kind of operating system since I would feel comfortable using Linux, OS X, Windows, Solaris, BSD, and Unix.

Thus am I thankful that my experience with open source software has set me free.

No comments: