Search This Blog

20110703

Applying CBT to a personal issue

Today I applied what I learned from The Feeling Good Handbook to successfully resolve a personal issue (jumping to conclusions, applying a mental filter based on this false conclusion, realizing that this is only creates frustration, and giving myself time to resolve the issue).

My mind confused by frustration and anger over my computer being accidentally shut off:

  • The ongoing issue I have with my roommate is when she has done an act accidentally that personally affects me and not know it, I have to not press the matter further.
  • E.g., after vacuuming near my computer, she accidentally turned it off.

    • When I politely confronted her about it, she denied that she shut it off. When I told her that the computer shut itself off, she told me that she didn't want to argue about it. In response I affirmed that:
      • I am not arguing with her.
      • It was an accident.

    • Yet I still felt angry and frustrated.


That is because several cognitive distortions affected me.

My mind after reflecting on it over the past 2 hours:

  • The accidental turning off of power is a neutral event.
  • The vacuum cleaner caused the breaker to go off on the other side of the room. My computer was still on.
  • The electric breaker was reset.
  • Then 10 minutes after my roommate finished cleaning the room, I noticed my computer was off.
  • The false conclusion I made was, "My roommate vacuuming by my computer led to my computer accidentally being turned off."
  • In fact, resetting the electric breaker accidentally turned my computer.
  • Rather than accepting the situation, I reacted due to:
    • Jumping to conclusions: "Since the computer was off, it had to be due to my roommate vacuuming by my computer".
    • Mental filtering: Because it had to be my roommate vacuuming by my computer, I confronted her.
    • Personalization and blame: I blamed my roommate because I wanted to control the situation and blame her.


The real situation:

  • The roommate was not responsible for my computer being shut off.
  • After realizing that the truth (resetting the electric breaker accidentally turned off my computer), the situation is out of my control.
  • It's an accident, which absolves everyone of blame.

    Finally, I'm over it now because I have processed what has happened.
  • No comments: