Search This Blog

20130516

Update: adapting to no medication and observations of bipolar patients

Although I've been battling insomnia, the lack of flexiril and gabapentin hasn't cause insomnia. That's a fallacy. Rather, the insomnia has come and gone during those two weeks mainly due to how much time I've been online.

Overall, though the the end of the fortnight, I've been getting adequately amounts of sleep, by going to nap when I want to. My reasoning for going off the medication is twofold: 1) gabapentin and flexiril are being used to give a hint to sleep, since neither is a sleep aid, and 2) to understand that without the gabapnetin, I don't get quality sleep, and without the flexeril, I don't fall off to sleep.

As well, I've tried the hypoglycemic reaction, to observe the role of high glycemic foods in sleep quality

I'm sure after a two week washout, both the gabapentin and flexiril will do their job.

In other news, anti-histamine effects of mirtazapine and quetiapine are directly related to binge eating. You just never see it with first-generation antihistamines due to the strong sedative effects.

However, low doses of quetiapine have no effect on the manic part of bipolar disorder except to stabilize the mood. It's more likely alcohol consumption has a lot to do with a bipolar patient's recovery as the less consumed, the more stable the patient is.

Sadly though, a lot of bipolar patients are moderate to chronic alcoholics. As well, the higher level of anger observed in bipolar patients is a good indication of their level of stress.

It appears that the psychiatric staff have no means to deal with the alcoholism that the bipolar patient retains. However, it is associated with anger and stress.

No comments: