Search This Blog

20091119

How I Survived the Swine Flu

For the first week of the flu, circa October 5 to October 13, I just felt depressed with mood swings i.e. neuropsychiatric affect of malaise.

Then the first symptoms started.

During October 17-20, I felt listless, achy, had a fever, lots of phlegm, and the neuropsychiatric affect mentioned above.

A week later, I decided to start taking antihistamines for the mucus build up along with one ibuprofen a day. At first I used fexofenadine for about a week, and then switched to cetirizine.

As well, I'd been taking Swiss Natural Sources High Potency Cod Liver Oil, and found the high potency garlic capsules I'd been keeping in case of a cold.

By November 12, I was over most of the symptoms. Currently the one of the symptoms I have left consist of occasional coughing, which may be related to histamine levels (allergy).

This occurred when I had a Yogen Früz slurpie, which contains a milk product. Though it might be remotely to the flu. This may also indicate a normal cough reflex due to eating certain cold foods.

Another symptom I have is a secondary infection. It consists of eustachian tube blockage in my right ear.

What appears to "fix" it is to take a garlic capsule, and bite on it to release the contents of the capsule, which then is kept in my mouth until it's absorbed into the mucus membrane lining the inside of the mouth.

So, overall it's taken about a month to get over the flu.

However, what I feel actually helped me get over the flu is the Vitamin D in the cod liver oil capsules. It also prevented the flu from weakening me, even during the time when my lungs were severely congested.

I also used cough drops for the flu, and bought some mint tea for coughs.

To sum up, here are the supplements I used to get over the flu:

Cod liver oil capsules -- improves immunity, mood, and calcium & magnesium levels at three capsules a day. - Swiss Natural Sources Hi Potency Cod Liver Oil

Garlic capsules -- relieves infections -- I take three capsules a day - the recommended dosage - according to the label - Swiss Natural Sources Triple Strength Odourless Garlic, 500 mg

Siberian ginseng -- adaptogen, acts as calmative - I take about three of these day.

Nutrilite Stress B -- after a couple weeks when I'd knocked this bottle of vitamins (super concentrated yeast tablets) off my bedroom cabinet, it got stuck behind one of the cabinet drawers. Now, I am back taking these tablets up to three times a day

Nutrilite Flex 500 - I take this product for its EPA content which is 500 mg per capsule. I take three a day, the recommended dosage. During the flu, I stopped taking this supplement since I was dosing with the garlic oil capsules and the cod liver oil capsules.

Thinning out the blood combined with the neuropsychiatric affect of the flu could be potentially harmful. So to prevent any serious complications, I try to stay in good humor. Though, I am convinced the regular intake of Vitamin D is helping stabilized my mood swings.

Mint tea -- I make myself a cup of mint tea occasionally for digestive aid and to reduce coughing.

Other supplements I take:
Centrum Select 50+ -- this is for regular maintenance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Strategic Health Muscle Recovery -- this is for joint pain and inflammation. Frankincense works well.
Yeast tablets -- I only take these as needed.
Now Super Odorless Garlic - each capsule of this product contains 50 mg of concentrated garlic extract, hawthorn extract 100 mg, hawthorn berry 250 mg, and cayenne pepper 100 mg. I don't take much of this product because of the cayenne. It should be taken twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed.
Jamison Calcium Magnesium with Vitamin D -- I take this product sparingly. 1 a day when I actually need it
Melatonin - this product helps to adjust my body clock. I take it sparingly

Products I rarely take:
goldenseal root tincture -- this is for infection. it also causes blood pressure to rise, so i rarely take it.
Milk thistle tincture -- i should take this occasionally for revitalizing my liver.
Krople zoladkowe T - Polish tincture for digestive problems

Product I take rarely
Xtreme Lean -- think of this product as a coffee substitute. the dosage is two 1500 mg capsules before breakfast and two capsules in mid afternoon. but you need to have it with lots of food. so i only use this rarely if i need an energy boost. i only use one capsule once a day because of the risks involved in taking too much of it.


For the record, I do not overdo any of the supplements I take. With supplements, I practise my Less-is-more philosophy.

As well, because I did not take the flu shot, I feel much more healthy than I would have, had I gone in for a shot.

IMHO the cod liver oil and the garlic capsules helped the most in keeping the flu from getting worse. It's doubtful that I'll be saying the same, had I gone in for my shot.

7 comments:

Sageb1 said...

Another supplement I rarely take:
Strauss Thyroid

contains:
ginseng root - adaptogen
irish moss & kelp - for iodine & polysaccharides
parsley leaf - moderates thyroid
cayenne - anti inflammatory
dong quai - adaptogen
golden seal root - boosts immune system, raises blood pressure

I take this product rarely, mainly for the iodine, adaptogen effects, and its mildness.

Sageb1 said...

Vitamin D taken at regular doses during winter months will prevent future infections from occurring, due to improved immune system response.

However, it is allowable to use cetirizine or other antihistamines at regular doses to relieve typical immune system responses in visibly ill people. I've yet to find an herb which works as reliably as antihistamines do.

However, I can confirm that Vitamin D works to boost the immune system at regular doses. And during infection, triple strength garlic (500 mg) taken three times a day helps during the early stages of the flu. Yes, eating garlic daily does help, too.

Sageb1 said...

It only took 8 days cooped up at home since October 12 to catch cold on October 20. By Friday I showed symptoms, and suffered the worst of it Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

As well, the delayed use of antihistamines (Allegra 12 hours, and a week later, Cetirizine) for nasal congestion and pain reliever (ibuprofen) for earache relieved my symptoms.

Last week I felt dizzy because of the mild inner ear infection. Total length of illness: 4 weeks

IMHO my conclusion is that Vitamin D deficiency is the health issue to remedy to prevent and/or lessen cold and/or flu infections.

Sageb1 said...

During the winter season of 2010, I used vitamin D supplements (400 mg a day) from October to December without any flu symptoms developing.

Sageb1 said...

Research on Vitamin D demonstrates its preventative effects: http://www.more.ca/body-and-mind/health/who-s-afraid-of-vitamin-d/a/1653

Sageb1 said...

Pubmed:Benefits of Sunlight - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290997/?tool=pmcentrez

Sageb1 said...

Questions about Vitamin D:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/questions-about-vitamin-d/article794167/page3/