Search This Blog

20110821

The Irony of Loving-Kindness

A month ago, I talked with my best friend.

That day, out of impulse, I needed to explain myself to her.

Anyway, we arranged to meet at the church where I graduated from a Christian 12 Step program called Freedom Session that she facilitates.

While I waited there, I greeted a few people I know, including the program's coordinator. As well, I donated spared change from my pocket to the church.

When my best friend arrived, we chatted for a little while.

In addition, I mentioned that I came to the program as a Buddhist curious about Christianity.

She replied that she has her mind set on a man who is a firmly rooted in Christianity.

She also advised me to tell my facilitator, who I'll call Harry, about my reasons for my curiosity in Christianity.

Before heading off to her volunteer work, she offered me a ride to the closest rapid transit station.

On the way there I wanted to say to her, "I was taught to fear God out of respect for Him, which results in a Christian becoming fearless."

However it came out garbled, sounding more like "In facing fear, a person becomes fearless."

The next day I said to my facilitator that I came to the program as a Buddhist curious about Christianity, and he asked me how he could be of help.

I replied that we should talk more about Christianity, mentioning that in Buddhism, we are supposed to take the best of what is offered in other spiritual traditions and leave the rest unblemished.

What this means is, as a Buddhist, I will not put down other spiritual paths.

Any jokes I have made in the past about Christianity reflects more of my own shortcomings than that of Christianity.

As a result of our chat three weeks ago, we've been discussing Christianity, both in general and specifically about the Bible.

The irony is that my Buddhist upbringing provides me with the tool of meditation to constructively make use of Christianity to enable loving-kindness — a concept common to both faiths — to overcome my personal issues.

Meditation helps me achieve the clear mind to clearly see my way through almost any situation I encounter and develop the insight to help over my issues.

My curiosity about other spiritual paths reflects humanity's curiosity about discovering one's purpose in life.

I believe that my spiritual faith helps me to let go of the trivial details about life.

In letting go of such details, the complications behind my personal issues may still remain.

Yet I am able to more effectively deal with each of them.

No comments: