Search This Blog

20131220

REVIEW: LG Nexus 4 E960: the Smartphone Apple sued Samsung Over

In this review I will attempt to dispel any infatuation with the Nexus 4 by pointing out al its flaws. Additionally in some respects, the iPhone 4 is superior to the Nexus 4. Sorry, Samsung lovers! It's time to ace reality: even though the Nexus 4 is made by LGE, it's all done with collaboration with Samsung.

Just think of Samsung as shogun and LG as one of its sub lieutenants in a fight against the usurper Apple, who entered the smartphone market late and is using legal bullying of Korean manufacturers who have been at it longer to corner its share of the market.

When the iPhone 4 came out, it had created a form factor consisting of a music player with internal battery beginning with the iPods. Now it had the fourth generation of the same idea, and was bound to get copied.

When Nexus 4 arrived, it had the following which was like iPhone 4: internal battery, option of 8 or 16 GB versions - though I think iPhone 4 comes in 8, 16 and 32 GB flavours, and thinner than iPhone.

The iPhone 4 is as thin as the Nokia 500 and Samsung GT5660 Gio — the thickness of a pack of cards.

In contrast, the Nexus 4 is thinner by a centimetres, its screen smaller than the Samsung Galaxy S3 but bigger than the Samsung Galaxy Gio and the Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE. From what I am seeing on the screen, 320 pixels per inch of viewing area is enough for a crisp view on Youtube.

However, there are exceptions to the apparent quality of being a black slab of plastic. First of all, it wouldn't stay connected with the router used at the time, a Motorola wifi router. This usually indicates that the Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 needs a reboot. Once that's done, the Nexus 4 stayed connected with the router without problems. This never happened with the iPhone 4 once.

Voice search failed to hear me. A reboot fixed that. Even though the search engine can't find my contact list, it can find stuff on Google. Oh, and I set it up not to search internally because I like pointing and clicking to find my way around my smartphone. Though I may change my mind from time to time.

Overall, the Nexus 4 is an adequate knock off of the iPhone 4. If this is what Apple was fighting with Samsung over, then Apple should have used more of the features that work better on Apple than on a Nexus 4. As a result of the outcome of the trial, all it did was convince the average person that an Android smartphone is a cheaper version of iPhone 4, which wasn't Apple's original intent in having the trial.

Sorry, Apple, you caused the confusion by making your design easy to copy. Though, another complaint I have about the Nexus 4 is that I can only move pictures I took on the Nexus 4 to my PC via MTP. I'm going to need a MTP library on my Linux to access the files on my SD card.

Suddenly the ease of use of the iPhone 4 becomes an issue: an iPhone secures your data while an Android phone leaves it wide open. Apart from that, the other features of the Nexus 4 need exploring.

Update as of December 30, 2013 at 07:09

And explore I did with my Nexus 4. Even though Google took out anti-jiggle, it has anti-jiggle of videos. One thing that is challenging my Nexus 4 is that new pictures to video Auto-awesome function in the Google Picture app. Yet that could just be a tiny flaw in Picture i.e. cannot mix GIF animated files with JPEG files.

I've also noticed problems with SUn Light's Battery Drain Analyzer Monitor when playing the Mahjong app by Canadadroid. Battery Drain Analyzer Monitor displays a different time from what Battery Solo and the systems says is the correct level. My guess is there are no clock updates when Majhong is hogging clock cycles.

Also when I switch modes more than a couple times in the Camera app, especially between HDR and flash under low-light conditions, the whole phone reboots. Looks like the camera gets confused and reboots to remind me to stick to HDR or the default mode.

Other than the two examples I have given, I have yet to brick my Nexus 4. Indeed, it is a certainty that my Nexus 4 will not be bricked. How so? Well, I sure am not going to root it!

SHK - at time new article posted as soon in Published On.

Original post: May 26, 2013 aat 3:08 PM


No comments: