Search This Blog

20130207

The Four Powers of Shantideva

Shantideva is the author of the ancient Buddhist sutra Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life.

In his guide, readers are introduced to the way of life of a Bodhisattva.

In contrast, Christian sources are mum on how children who die young become angels. Perhaps their soul returns to the Godhead to be be reborn in a new incarnation. This return of the soul is known under the euphemism "gone to heaven".

Returning to the Guide, which is called Bodhicaryavatara, I recall reading it over five years ago. Today I can't remember a word from the text. This appears to happen when I read anything from another Buddhist tradition, but that could be because when I read it, I neglected to meditate on what I just read.

Here are his four powers:
  1. Aspirations: the wish to practice Dharma.
  2. Steadfastness; the determination to become Buddha.
  3. Joy: the willingness to engage with others wholeheartedly with a joyful mind.
  4. Rejection: ability to move on with the mindful practice once one of your goals are met i.e. the ability to realize when doing the same thing over and over just is not going to get a different result.

If you think that"s it then it is, because I'm all out of repeating myself for 1000 characters. >::)

Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life: hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantideva#Bodhicaryavatara

No comments: