Search This Blog

20130206

With Effort, All Things Are Possible

If you have only effort, you have all Dharmas,
But if you have only laziness you do not know any Dharmas. — Geshe Kelsang Gyatso


With effort, anything is possible. Although one may be limited by physical strength, with mindful practice the mind is capable of anything.

Last night I went out to visit Vancouver. Since my habit is to take pictures with my smartphone camera, most of my night was spent taking pictures of my trip into Vancouver and of the city itself.

First I went down to English Bay. Then I returned to Robson Street and Howe Street, near Chapters Book.

At Chapters, I looked around until I found the Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyam, which I got for a bargain: $2!

This is the fifth edition of the Rubaiyat.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Rubaiyat is not about drinking wine. What wine represents in the verses is the Divine and is akin to the Holy Spirit in Christianity.

Returning to the Buddhist quote regarding effort, "Dharmas" refers to phenomena. For the phenomena that effort brings is inspiration.

After reading the Rubaiyat, I felt inspired to write the poem preceding this article, We are All One.

As well, inspiration helped with the effort to create my newest music video to post on Youtube using pictures I took last night.

With effort, you could have anything,
Be it peace of mind or happiness.
All it takes is faith in the Buddha,
and belief that Buddha Nature is Emptiness.


The Rubaiyat: http://classics.mit.edu/Khayyam/rubaiyat.html
Analysis of Rubaiyat: http://www.peejeshare.com/essays/analysis-rubaiyat-omar-khayyam-8825

No comments: