Search This Blog

20130207

The Power of Dharma Practice

I'm a Buddhist, and have the power called Dharma practice consisting of the skillful means of Buddha Remembrance and meditation, both of which aid mindful practice.

It has the potential to burn away evil karma, and accumulate merit through good thoughts and deeds.

As a True Pure Land School (Jodo Shinshu) Buddhist, the skillful means called Buddha Remembrance (Buddha Recitation) consists of 7, 21 or 49 recitations of Amida Buddha's name (Namu Amida Butsu).

Known as the Nembutsu, it has a special name only within Jodo Shinshu circle as the Name-that-calls. For when a Pure Land devotee calls out Amida's name, it is Amida calling through her.

When I was young, I went to the Fraser Valley Buddhist temple to learn about our faith. However, as a child I was prone to taking wring action that built up evil karma.

In Buddhism, evil karma is defined as calculated actions that serve the self, and through ignorant craving, leads to the ego controlling the mind.

It wasn't until over 20 years ago, that I first started meditating.

Though, it's been only about a month since I started reading Thich Thien Tâm's book Buddha of Wisdom and Faith, and was moved to commit myself to Chinese Pure Land School and using my education as a True Pure Land School student.

Even though a few Buddhist claim that it isn't wise to study outside of Pure Land tradition, I have studied Vajrayana but only have an intellectual grasp of it. It's only been very recently that I have discovered that tantra can be practiced by one person without delving into the intimacies of tantrism.

Additionally, to help empower the mindful part of my Dharma practice, I also listen to Buddhist chants and dharanis, along with Hindu Veerashaivist chants.

My Buddhist chants and dharani playlist consists of:
  • Amitabhâ Buddha Dharani and Mantra,
  • Buddha Bar Meditative Music,
  • Shingon Buddhist Chant,
  • Karanda Mudra Dharani by Ani Choying,
  • Mantra of Avalokitshvara (a Tibetan incantation), and
  • Relaxing Buddhist Music
My Veerashaivist chants playlist consists of
  • Akka Mahadevi Vachana,
  • Rudram,
  • Skanda Sashti Kavacham (sung by the Soolamangalam Sisters), and
  • Vachanadalli Nâmâmruta Tunbi (sung by Sangeeta Katti)

And just for variety, while not distinctly Buddhist, I listen to the Yoshida Brother's Ibuki and to Yoshida Kiyoshi's Rising Sun, since I find music using the three-stringed shamisen to be pleasing to the ear, and very invigorating.

As well, I also have started a music hobby in which I remix music of the Experimental genre. After creating each of my songs, I take pictures to compile into a video to be used with that particular song. Often though, the video portion does not match the music.

Currently I am thankful to Thich Thien Tâm for writing Buddhism of Wisdom and Faith, which has inspired me to recommit to my Buddhist faith. As a result of reading his book, I have a strong faith in the Primal Vow, and sincerely believe in Amida Buddha's Pure Land of Bliss.

No comments: