Search This Blog

20140108

Seclusion: Overcoming Social Isolation (satire)

Since social isolation causes psychological pain, another question must be addressed: "Why do seemingly normal people isolate themselves from society?"

Back on October 10, 2003 at 2:55 AM I wrote:

Seclusion is necessary, for 25% of our lives - since each of us do need time alone to reflect on their lives. To be in the presence of others for extended periods of time, one would have to give up a lot of privacy. As well, a highly socialized person would feel comfortable in the presence of other people.

However, a person who spends more than 50% of his time alone values his privacy. Of course, he is never alone totally since he will have to interact with merchants, his landlord, and even his own family.

Most likely, he may suffer from being alone, socially isolated from other people.

Overall, I wish to spend more time with people I have grown to love, and to learn to respect those of them who have caused me the most pain, since usually they turn out to be the most beloved of all the people to whom I have bonded.

Update: January 8, 2014 at 2006H

Few people can readily adapt to social isolation without suffering depression. I learned that knowing people care actually helped me recover.

Over the past decade, I have learned to respect my family.

It turns out that most the pain I attributed to my family was self-inflicted, being regret at not being able to live up to unrealistic expectations that arose in response to not being told what those expectations are.

Today, I have chosen one realistic expectation of myself, which is keep my expectations low enough to meet the demand of the day.

While most of my time is still spent alone, it is well spent outside the confines of my own home.

As a result, I feel that seclusion is time well spent being alone to reflect on my life. It also has become easier to spend the other 75% of my time in the presence of other people.

Even so, I only a little privacy over the past decade.

Of course, the lowest part of my life was circa 2010-2011. However, I have recovered from the worst of social isolation, which may have resulted in depression and much psychic pain, pain that affected my psyche to the point of procrastination and questioning my very existence.

After a year of therapy, the most important inspiration came from my psychotherapist when he told me, "You would never go to the Emergency Ward suffering from a complete mental breakdown." I interpret this to mean that I would take care of myself to prevent depression from taking over my life completely.

Indeed, once free from therapy, my life has been improving slowly but surely. Today, I know how to cope with sitting in my room by spending my time online, writing a blog, making music, and reading.

As well, I meditate from time to time, according to my time schedule, especially when spending time online. Every ninety minutes or so, I either meditate, have a snack, or read a book.

At the moment, I am in recovery from depression. This means I have developed the skills needed to cope with life, along with proper sleep hygiene (in bed no later than 2 AM), regular exercise, and meditation.

Today, it's not 2010 anymore. It's 2014, and the year has only begun.

And I am thankful to all the friends I made along the way.

No comments: